Area ActivitiesThe Centennial Valley
At the J Bar L, the untamed beauty of Montana lies just beyond your doorstep. Neighboring the Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge and the Centennial Sandhills Preserve, and bordered by the Centennial and Gravelly mountains, the Centennial Valley is one of the world's finest locations for wildlife viewing, birding, and fly fishing while still feeling off the beaten path. Ripe for exploring, our fabled valley features some of the most stunning, secret spots that even locals don’t know about. You may have to stray from the road to get to these hidden gems, but believe us when we say it’s worth it. Driving distance from the Yellowstone National Park, world-class fly fishing waters, breathtaking hikes, and more, the J Bar L offers you all the comforts of a secluded home on the range after a long day of play. For more specific activity recommendations for your vacation to the Centennial Valley, please see our Sample Itinerary.
This rural retreat is the perfect place for your next family gathering or getaway allowing larger groups to enjoy the best of Montana from under one roof. The highlight of this location is the private access to Upper Glaston Lake where you can enjoy fishing, kayaking, bird watching, and afternoon walks. There is plenty to explore outside the front door including hiking in the Crazy Mountains and Boulder River Valley, and trout fishing on the nearby Yellowstone River. The ranch is just two hours from the North entrance of Yellowstone park which is a must for any first time Montana visitor. In the nearby town of Big Timber, guests can enjoy our local restaurants, learn about the history of the area at the Crazy Mountain Museum, peruse local art galleries and shops, and get to know the friendly locals at the new brewery!
If you're interested in booking guided experiences, our staff will be more than happy to connect you with a number of outdoor professionals in Southwest Montana, including fly fishing, hiking, horseback riding, and birding guides, as well as geologists and a full-service pack-and-guide business. Guests are always provided with recreation literature and road maps upon arrival.
The J Bar L is a BYOG facility (Bring Your Own Gear). While we do have a limited amount of basic gear for your use, we do not offer kayaks, canoes, bikes, fishing equipment, or the like for rent on-site. If you book a guided trip, some outfitters may be able to provide you with gear, or you can bring your own to enjoy all the area has to offer.
On the Ranch and In Your Backyard
- Birding and wildlife viewing
- Sunset strolls and nature walks
- Mountain biking and hiking
- Guided hiking and on-site tours with local birders and geologists
- Wildlife and nature photography
- Backcountry fishing opportunities
- Kayaking and canoeing
Off the Ranch and In Our Region
- Birding and wildlife viewing
- Famed fly fishing on several nearby waters, self-guided or professionally guided
- Backcountry horseback riding and pack trips
- Rent an ATV to be delivered to your rental home!
- Mountain biking on area trails
- Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge
- Yellowstone National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- Bannack State Park
- Lewis and Clark Trail
- Ghost towns
- Hot springs
- Dillon, Montana (hosts the Dillon Jaycees Rodeo in late summer)
- Ennis, Montana (hosts a 4th of July Rodeo)
- Historic Virginia and Nevada City
Book your stay at one of our Montana Ranch Vacation Rentals today.